Don’t leave it to chance – unchecked appliances could pose a risk to you and your family
All gas appliances in your property need to be safety checked by a Gas Safe registered engineer annually and serviced according to manufacturer’s instructions. Any appliance left unchecked could leave you at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. It’s an extremely good idea to have your gas pipework inspected at the same time as having a boiler service, every year – and it’s law if you’re a landlord.
When assessing an unsafe gas appliance, we will follow the Gas Industry Unsafe Situations Procedure (GIUSP) which provides ‘best practice’ advice to engineers on how to deal with specific gas safety concerns.
These all play an important role in the safe operation of gas appliances, allowing products of combustion to escape and ensuring a high level of ventilation. As cold as it might get during winter, never block up these airways – this could result in a build up of carbon monoxide in your home.
If you live in a property with a shared flue or chimney, you’ll need to share responsibility with others to ensure they are checked annually as it’s possible for carbon monoxide to enter properties through these shared vents.
Prior to any work being carried out it is important to agree the scope of the work so that everyone is clear. For example, there are differences between an appliance/boiler service and a landlords gas safety check.